Saturday 5 January 2013

Focus on Life: week one the self-portrait

Today I saw many a beautiful woman online and wondered on the coincidence.  Sure enough, once Averleigh was in bed and I was reading words the whole way through I saw that the sudden rush to self-portrait was prompted by Sally Russick of the Studio Sublime.  The concept is simple.  Once a week Sally sends out a photo prompt and you have that week to focus in and capture, then share.  I admit when it finally dawned on me what was going down I thought, “ah well, too late”.   But her kind invitation to jump in at any time had me emailing right away.

Now I just got my camera and have really no idea how to use it and this was a great excuse to just tuck right in.  Hubby had just gone to bed so no chance for vanity.  I just sat myself down in the space I just cleared the Christmas tree from (the rest of the room is covered in toys) – and I got to snapping.

self portrait - focusing on life

It was a tough task.  I deleted so many right off the bat.  Then I stopped myself and decided they should all at least reach the computer to be seen properly.  I took a breathe and picked what I liked the most as opposed to just avoiding all the ones I didn’t.  No edit, no crop, no need to focus on the negative.  I picked this one for that swoop of shadow over my left eye, almost as if those are lashes.  Now that would be a treat!

I’m glad I took the jump.  I look forward to sharing my photography progress here each week.  I know I will be equally excited to see what everyone else has to share.  Be sure to catch all the participants each week from Sally’s post.

19 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad you joined! Your photo is gorgeous!!!! I love the moodiness of it. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos in the coming weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you joined in too! I think it will be a fun adventure.Your eyes are quite pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have got BEAUTIFUL eyes!!! I am glad to see that this challenge seems to be pulling so many people out of their shell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your picture! Your hair frames your face beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, Emma. It will be interesting to see what the next weeks bring and to get to know everyone a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you joined the challenge. A great way to embrace your new camera-diving right in! I really like your self portrait-your eyes tell a story and make me curious at the same time. looking forward to seeing the photos you create!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such beautiful eyes Emma ... and perfect eyebrows too! So glad you jumped on board with this challege ... looking forward to the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma - nice to see you! Nice to meet you, and have a face attached to you....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I joined late as well! Congratulations an joining in. Your photo is such fun. For some reason it reminds me of a superhero photo. Maybe because it both hides and reveals at the same time. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you joined, you have beautiful eyes, this as a great self portrait! I know just what you mean about deleting so many, it got discouraging for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic photo Emma! Your self portrait draws me right in, I love how dramatic your eyes look! Beautiful!!


    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a great photo. I love how your eyes just draw me into the picture (they are a beautiful shade of blue). You look lost in thought and I'd love to know what was going through your head.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! I saw the pic on my phone first, and that shadow looked like really nicely applied eye-liner :)

    Love the little nose-pin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful photo! really captures your eyes - such a pretty shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look great! The best part of this is actually getting to see everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome shot - glad you didn't delete this one!! It's going to be a fun and intersting ride this year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Neat composition, Emma! I'm definitely going to be stalking this challenge LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mysterious and somehow pensive. I love the mood of this photo!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation