Monday 29 October 2012

Art Bead Scene October challenge reveal


This month’s challenge piece at the Art Bead Scene has a beautiful palette.  I had many an idea but I was still a bit stuck on September.  Here’s Revolving by Kirt Schwitters



I love the colour palette Brandi Hussey created for ABS, above.  [side note, I’m just started her ecourse Editing with Elements and I’m excited!]  Many ideas came to mind and this one ran out of time to really pass the prototype stage, but I’d like to share it with you all the same.  I’ve said it before, but one of the best parts of working with polymer is you are only really done when you add something that can’t handle the oven.  Add things, take them away, again and again, that piece isn’t really done until you say so.

I created a video, my first attempt, to give you the feel of what I was going for – for how it should work.  I could point out all the things I was trying to say, but I think you’ll be able to fill in the gaps.


I did carve and chip away the polymer, exposing the magnets. When I started out with this design, I knew the contact point would be in a more stressed position than a protected one.  I just had to try though and see how it fails. You can learn a lot more by actually going through the process.  It’s hard some times to go through the time and materials, but it’s an investment in future pieces of all kinds I tell myself.

If you are in the storm’s path tonight, please be safe and sound.  I finished two pieces for the upcoming Finally Friday, where the inspiration goes by the name “crashing blues” – that’s a little freaky.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea, Emma, of making it magnetic! And of course, its beautiful as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rather unusual but very interesting piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #100 - there! you made it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful design concept! It's great that you gave this a try. It certainly looks fantastic! I'm glad you included the video with your blog page too. It was nice to see the piece "in action."

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation