Friday 8 March 2013

Focus on life–week 10- all wrapped up!

This week Sally invited us to consider a myriad of definitions for wrap and “get to snappin’!” Her email arrived just after a text from one of my best friends that she was at the hospital to be induced.  This was just a couple of days before her due date, but there had been some twists and turns before getting there.  I also had plans to meet another friend’s new born son on the Monday, so photos of tightly snuggled baby burritos were an expected part of the week.

Nope!

Nadda to share.  On my Monday visit, I did get a picture of the son and his big brother that was pretty darn cute.  But playing with two two year olds and an infant doesn’t exactly make for the right time to grab a “planned” photo.  Meanwhile my best friend welcomed her second son too and was home in a flash and I ended up visiting on the same day.  Again, two two year olds, a two day old and a 100lbs wannabe lap dog does not make for ripe conditions for the swaddling wrapped loveliness I had in mind.

I do have a reason for confusing you with all this!

I met my best friend when we were six.  She had just moved into a house the other side of the crescent, the summer before grade one.  I have a pretty vivid memory of hopping off my bike after dinner to ask her out to play only to be greeted by her mum explaining they were on the way to bed.  I recall being stunned.  Then seeing her and her older sister come to the door in pyjamas to say hello.  I’m realizing I may have had a lot of freedom for a six year old.  I just had to be home before the street lights came on.  I don’t know what the consequence would have been if I weren’t home in time, I just know it was something I never wanted to find out.  I did have two other girls roughly my age out with me, this wasn’t just my house rules.)  Of course the next day came and we have been friends ever since!

I know I’m very lucky.  Thinking on the prompt and pictures of wrapped up babes I realized that now I have held her first born on the day he was born and I held her second on his second day of life… and whoa, I didn’t hold my own daughter until her third day.  Which is just a little oddity of a factoid but I probably would have never put it in this context if I hadn’t been after that particular photo.  Which made me think, it’s probably my own experience with my child’s prematurity that had me chasing that image.

There is a picture coming I swear.

So thinking on my treasured friends and their gorgeous boys and how I hope our children grow as great friends too, I had a reminder – new friends are awesome too!

week10 focus on life

Kathleen of Modern Nature Studio has a generous soul.  When this focus on life series started and I confessed I had no idea how to take a photo with my new dSLR and she kindly offered that I could ask her any questions.  I haven’t taken her up on that yet but boy, I’ve put her to work!  She found a deal on great paint for polymer and offered to do a group buy, reduce those ever mounting shipping costs.  Well, shipping paint, we have learned is no swift stroke.  My portion of the order which she packaged beautifully, just because she can’t help herself, was wrapped – unwrapped- and rewrapped to convince the postal officials it would not blow up.  I love the addition of “non flammable, water soluble”.  I so appreciate her efforts in getting this little box of joy to my door.

Quite the introspective this week: old friends, new friends, favourite things tied up in string.
Not bad Ms Sally!  Now I’m very excited, as always, to see all the interpretations that this weeks worth of links, over on Sally’s blog, holds.

23 comments:

  1. Babies are such a joy.
    I'm glad your package arrived intact if not un - invaded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post...its almost like I was there and chatting with you.
    You are soooooo lucky to be close to your friends!
    I miss my childhood friends so much, and also the ones that I made here, I am not able to see too often. Hope to change that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your telling of childhood friends. Charming and heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very cool to have longterm friends!As we moved many times, that option has not really been available to me...I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that you would not settle for a picture that was just "cute." Aren't we all perfectionists! Your box looks so mysterious! Enjoy the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, loved your story and the ending well said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great story and I do love a bit of introspection. Those postal workers can be a tough lot to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely memory of your childhood and friends. Enjoy the time you have with your friends' little bundles of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! so much going on at your place! and exciting news with all the babies arriving!! I love the story of meeting your best friend. Mine lived next door - we met when I moved in at the age of 3. Fun memories. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the story you unwrapped for us. It is so great that you have life long friends. I was a military brat which means we moved to often to keep friends for to long. Enjoy your time with the new little friends in your life. Glad your package made it to you intact.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful post, and what a pic you finally got to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that a childhood memory as well as your baby stories were inspired by Sally's prompt. Have fun with your paint!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much love is wrapped in your story, Emma - and I hope you unwrapped some beauty out of that package! I love your story: you're so lucky to live close to your friend, and to raise your kids at the same time. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful stories of friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You might not have gotten the photos for this post but I know you will get some sweet baby photos in the weeks ahead! This is a great post for our prompt this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic story of old friends and babies. How amazing to have a friend since you were six and now to be holding her babies. Love the "baby burritos."

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, two new babies in one week - what a special time this must be for your friends and you! And how wonderful to have such lifelong friends to share it with.

    At the same time, I have to agree that new friends are wonderful too. And what a fun package to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emma you sure wrapped up a wonderful story for us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your story Emma. Sometimes our best laid plans get side tracked. My first born was a premie too. I remember the feeling of not be able to hold my new little baby for DAYS. He is now a strapping 22 year old man. I am grateful for my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great story! Have fun unwrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How special to have your two friends' new babies in your life. Enjoyed reading your story about meeting your best friend when you were six. I seemed to have had a lot of freedom when I was young also.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to still be close with your childhood friends and witness the joys in their lives! I am so happy that the paints made it to you safely. I am making a mental note to always add "non flammable" to the description box!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great post! Reading it reminded me of a dear friend of mine that I met when i was 9, she asked me to be her friend one day as I was walking past her house and I said OK and that was 44 years ago! It is so nice that you have remained friends, live close and can share in the raising of your families together! I do love the photo and the meaning behind it as well. You seem to be doing fine with the new camera!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation