Saturday 13 April 2013

Bead Soup Blog Party 7 Reveal!

Welcome, welcome! The party is already in full swing with the first reveal group, the second group today and next weekend will bring a third and final installment this time.  This is the brainchild of Lori Anderson of Pretty Things, I’m sure you are all familiar with this wonderful concept, for full details check out What is the Bead Soup Blog Party?  With over 500 participants you would be hard pressed not to find some inspiration in all these collaborations. With that great volume in mind lets get going!

My partner this round is Cindy Ritchie, a lampwork artist with great style – just check out her Simply Cindy shop!  Cindy sent a soup full of dreamy, seemingly colour-shifting glass and treasures.  Here’s a little reminder



My first piece to come to fruition used the little purple (sometimes amber) glass bird.  She has the most charming little face I wanted to be able to see her so I turned her into a ring.  I wanted it to appear as if she had just landed for a sip of water from a little puddle.

bsbp7 bird ring

A commercial sterling band became the base for a silk worm cocoon I cut, emptied, and filled with polymer which holds the embedded sterling legs of the bird - which become the wings and lock her in place.  I experimented with very thin polymer wing sections but it blocked too much light.  This bird sings with light filtering in from all sides and reflecting from the silver “waters” beneath.  A few more angles:

BSBP7 bird ring views

Next, thinking of my little bird, I decided she had escaped from a cage using, what else, but that gorgeous key that Cindy elevated from utility to art.  The cage is made from a sewing bobbin base with a wire frame that I fiddled with forever before getting it to sit just how I wanted.  The key can spin and it turns the empty roost inside the cage.  To say I struggled trying to photograph this piece is an understatement.  The colour scheme came together from the key and two of the melon beads that had more of the blue/purple flash.  I created a translucent pearly pale green to complement the key and used Swellegant for the first time in creating the polymer keyhole/key shaped pieces.

BSBP bird cage

The five polymer discs have a touch of iridescent violet powder to let them shimmer and are woven with irish waxed linen sit across the back of the neck. 

full view bird cage

Here it is on.  Notice the little bird in the bottom right picture.  The bigger of the two is shrink plastic before shrinking and, you guessed it, the little one sitting on the polymer disc has been shrunk.  I was snapping away taking pictures before I noticed I had forgot to add them.  The plan was to glue them since curing them on the polymer sounded a little risky for that long in the heat.  Now I’m not so sure, maybe just one? maybe none?

bsbp 7 bird cage collage

I had another bead that could have easily been the focal also. The swirls of glass inspired me to try my hand at a Cellini spiral for the very first time.  I had it in my head I wanted to use a tonal bead mix.  Thank goodness I opted to use the mix as the biggest bead in the spiral, otherwise I would have never kept the pattern straight.  But it wasn’t all rookie luck, in my attempt to include a lot of colour I ended up with a massive diameter so a long length was out of the question.  A hop, skip and a jump and I ended up making a hair stick (uh, not using the same glass focal but another slimmer bead).

bsbp7 hair stick

Ok so back to that focal and another try at a Cellini spiral I brought in the silk Cindy dyed and created some twisted polymer elements to keep the spirals going.  You can see the original creation at the top right below.  I liked the idea in theory but not so much in execution.  I separated the elements and liked it so much better.  My second Cellini spiral I sort of made up the ends of the tube to try and get a more round shape and the mykonos copper discs Cindy sent totally finish off the very simple version with it on a cable choker (below bottom right).  The tea dyed silk is awaiting new inspiration.

cellini experiment

Still with me? I’ve been bringing you along for the journey as the pieces came together.  I was really trying to use every last bead and at this moment there are four other projects on my worktable.  I’m going to take a bit more time with them, perhaps wrap them up in time for the third reveal. But I needed to turn my attention to the handcrafted, stamped clasp Cindy sent.  I envisioned swooping banner type polymer elements to echo the shape and planned them to be a translucent blue with the glass melon beads at the “gather” points.  I ended up a little off course and with somewhat of a circus feel.
circus bsbp

This necklace became the exploration of a few polymer head pins, a polymer bail, some wire embedded  polymer swags, and some thin sequin-esque polymer to make a chain section.  In other words, a whole lot of fun all inspired by the two glass melon beads and clasp and capped off by a Jade Scott pendant that arrived in the mail at just the right moment. With it and the clasp oxidized it may look like the rest of the copper I added should be too. I'm torn though since there is copper leaf in the polymer, nice and bright copper. So for the moment this copper isn't sealed whilst I decide.  Feel free to let me know what you think!

more circus

I just realized I have two pairs of earring I forgot to photograph so I will have those to share another day.  Thank you so very much for visiting and reading this far! I swear I really did try to not chat so much.  I can’t thank Lori and Cindy enough for this gift of beautiful beads and moreover beautiful inspiration!

Now, it’s time to go see what the rest of the second reveal crew brought together.  Please hop on over to Lori’s second reveal post – special treat is the map that shows how one woman can conquer the world!

72 comments:

  1. Ingredients were beautiful, soup is also amazing. Ring with cocoon is so funny and the colour of it! Incredible, maybe it's because I love blue :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm stunned 8-o I love the key-necklace but my favourite is the ring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bird cage necklace. You had some really interesting pieces in your soup, and created jewelry that showcase them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous pieces, the ring and the birdcage necklace is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how beautifully you told the story of your bead soup. Ifelt like I was right there with you on every sinfle twist and turn of the wire :-) the bird cage necklace and accompanying ring are stunning beyond words! Gorgeous soup

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Emma you really have a way with words! Your writings are as creative as the pieces that you have designed. I am so honored to be a part of the final product! Beautiful pieces and wonderful imagination. Love the bird in the cocoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boah, Emma - what a great soup cooking! Couldn't find a word for all those great pieces: just stunning. And I couldn't decide which one I love the most, the birdie ring and the cage necklace are surely on top of my wishing-list :0) You're an outstanding artist, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - These are awesome, Emma! So impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, the birdcage necklace is amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, amazing designs. The ring is so unusual and the birdcage you made is so inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pieces! The birdcage is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the polymer additions you have made to the various pieces. They have definitely enhanced these pieces. I am in awed of your talents (writing and creating). Beautiful rendition of the beads given.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pieces are so rich in details and original, you made an awesome work! I especially love the key necklace, so clever

    ReplyDelete
  14. The key necklace is breathtaking and the hair pin is a winner. I love that clever bird ring

    ReplyDelete
  15. The circusy tribal giraffe necklace is awesome .(Now there is a sentence I never thought I'd write.) I love your cage and the polymer key links! I'm not sure you need the black birds, but I'll leave it with you to decide since you obviously know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such unique and individual designs~ love your thoughtful attention to each piece. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great necklace with a super cage!!!awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice bead soup, love the giraffe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The ring and bird cage necklace are STUNNING!!
    come check out my 1st and 2nd reveal favs tomorrow.

    http://vintagememoriesjewelry.blogspot.com
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was blown away by your lottle bird ring, absolute genius! I really loke the circus necklace too, I have a thing for giraffes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would have never thought to use a silk coccoon in such a way. You are so imaginative and talented ! Love the key and birdcage necklace, too !

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you took up the challenge of the hop and tried out some new things. Gorgeous colors in your Cellini spiral. If I had to choose a favorite, it would be your last piece - that would be so much fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the use of the polymer clay mixed with metal very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the first necklace design. very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The bird cage necklace is my favorite! Great job on all your pieces! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!! You are FANTASTIC! I LOVE the ring... Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. As usual you are amazing. The way you incorporate pieces is so eye catching and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful pieces, great design.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the bird story (and the jewelry, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love all your pieces, all great designs!
    my favourite is the key necklace
    this is my 3rd BSBP, I'm on the 3rd reveal... it is totally funny this party!
    ciao dall'Italia

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh - all of your pieces are phenomenal. I love, love, love the bird ring and the key/bird cage necklace - FanDamnTastic! Seriously all of your pieces are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your work is wonderful, I spotted your jewels on the Pinterest boards and came to find more! I love the shapes you use and make. The bird cage is inspired! Lovely. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful! Love the hairstick the most♥ of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful, unique pieces!! Love them all but my fav is the bird ring. Fantastic bead soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awesome work !
    I love each and every piece

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love them all, but the bird cage necklace is the top pick!! ~KM 1st reveal - http://kraftymax.blogspot.com/2013/03/7th-bead-soup-blog-party-reveal-33013.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful work. That ring is amazing! and, the birdcage! Love it all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! I absolutely love the bird themes you went with. The ring is my favorite. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. All of you pieces are awesome☺ Love the hairstick and the ring is absolute genius! Love it♥

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a clever artist you are! Love them all. Thanks for visiting my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nice job with your soup! I love all the elements and how you put it all together...sweet cage!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The birdcage necklace is so unique and awesome! Love all your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a lot of thought you have put into your soup, the little bird ring is so inspired! The necklace with cage is very artisitc and I love the hair stick everything is great well done!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow these are some very original designs. You are definetly an out of the box thinker and I love to see that in jewelry design. Well done! Kristin Oppold

    ReplyDelete
  45. ~you had amazingly beautiful pieces to work with...a magical mind you have in incorporating these pieces together to create enchantingly sweet pieces...just love...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  46. How clever. The bird story is so lovely. And of course the pieces, all of them, are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  47. LAWDY! You made some really inspirational and simply gorgeous pieces. I'm particularly smitten with your bird ring and cage/key necklace. They're both phenomenal. Of course, the rest of your pieces are beautiful also. You've got me itching to see those earrings. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I must say that everything is so very creative!!! Loving that key necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  49. What incredible pieces, Emma!! I especially love the cage necklace - so many beautiful components and it looks so pretty worn.

    ReplyDelete
  50. OMG, Emma - this is quite amazing! So many beautiful pieces, so much creativity! I love the idea of that ring; the cage necklace is gorgeous; I thoroughly enjoyed the story of the pin (quite a happy accident you got yourself there) - and your polymer creations in all the pieces are exquisite.
    P.S. I like the small bird exactly where it is on the cage necklace! I would keep just that one, like a 'dream' of the bird that flew away :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow, I love everything! The cage necklace is just to die for. (Plus, I'm a sucker for lampworked keys! LOL!).

    I love the idea of just one tiny little bird on the necklace, like Alicia said. :)

    Everything is just lovely!

    <3,
    Andrea
    http://zenithjade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  52. The birdcage necklace is very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Amazing creations! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Those are really gorgeous and I love your ideas - especially the hairstick.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow! It's all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wonderful, gorgeous, there are not enough words for me to tell you how your creations are fantastic. It speaks to me so well, the bird cage necklace and the ring are just so "Merveilleux", original and elegant. Congratulation

    ReplyDelete
  57. Wow-the pieces you designed are fantastic! I honestly cannot pick a favorite! Love the variety of artistic elements in each design. You really rocked this soup Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I am still going down the list and visiting the blogs. So many lovelies. Yours are gorgeous!! I love the bird cage necklace and the ring!! Nice job on your bead soup!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I love your work, kudos on the cellini, you did a great job! I love the ring, is that really a cacoon? Wow oh wow! I love the little bird in the water. You have such a great imagination!
    Thank you for stopping by my blog, and a big thanks for the nice words.
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Finally making my way through the second reveal. I really love how your last necklace came out, it looks so fun and different the way you pulled it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  61. wow, what a pleasure to see all your pics and to read your stories. Each piece is an unique one. Love them all, adorable
    Greets Gite

    ReplyDelete
  62. Emma your pieces are very creative and unique. Wonderful job using your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  63. What an intriguing mix of techniques you used with your soup, and what a lovely banquet you cooked up! The bird ring is just so cool -- I imagine it's a real joy to wear and a sure-fire conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  64. I loved reading about how you came to your designs. It really made it feel as though I was in the studio with you. I am totally in awe of your first necklace. It took a lot of work with the bird cage but I bet that it is a lot of fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  65. You are incredibly creative and resourceful! I love the key/birdcage necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  66. So pretty and creative! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  67. I am in love with EVERYTHING you made and would wear any and all of them (particularly that first necklace!!!!) Thank you so much for participating so wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation